English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)
Home Wellness Articles Informed Choice Waterproof Sunscreen Warning

Waterproof Sunscreen Warning

Written by Pathways Magazine   
Wednesday, 01 June 2005 00:00

Waterproof sunscreen causes severe burning and even blindness if it gets into the eyes of children. When flushing the eyes with water provided no relief to his 2-year-old son, he called the local Poison Control Center. They advised him to take his child to an emergency room immediately where the eyes were flushed with a special solution. His son lost his sight for 2 days as a result of the sunscreen.

Waterproof Sunscreen WarningThe manufacturer admits the problem but fears parents will not use it if a large warning is placed on the product by claiming that the risk of blindness outweighs the risk of skin cancer.

Parents: use caution when applying sunscreen. If your child does get waterproof sunscreen in their eyes, take them to the emergency room immediately!

When looking for chemical-free sunblocks, visit your local health store, or research on-line.



Pathways Issue 6 CoverThis article appeared in Pathways to Family Wellness magazine, Issue #06.

To purchase this issue, Order Here.